Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Last Night in the Nursery

(I really hope you understand that reference. If not, please go watch Peter Pan.)

Well, ladies and gentlemen, I've reached the final evening of my youth. Tomorrow's the big day: I'm turning 18. The last few hours of my childhood are ticking away at an alarming rate as we drive and drive our way home from Lake Powell (which was absolutely fantastic, if you wondered).

So, a couple hours and a lot of miles ago in the Anderson Girl Car, Mom, our DJ, started crankin' up the t-swift playlist and "Never Grow Up" came on. I really don't know this song but Mom turned around and shot me a look because, hey, "never grow" up is basically my motto. It's one of those songs that make you all sad but so happy and nostalgic and stuff; not to mention  that my family has been constantly reminding me, much to my dismay, that my childhood will be over in a mere matter of minutes all. Day. Long. You could say I was feeling some degree of grief.

You have to understand that I've never wanted to be a Big Kid. I can probably count on one hand the times I've wished to be older, even then, the only reasons were privileges earned with age. Like, you know, dating and driving, and YW and stuff. I never planned my wedding or even had college plans after high school! (Until these last couple months that is. I mean about college.) I've never really known what i wanted to be when i grew up because i wasn't going to grow up, duh.

Year Eighteen was something that I watched happen to all of my friends and family thinking "whatever, that'll never happen to me," half expecting to be whisked off to Neverland any day now! Alas, grow-ups are officially uninvited from Neverland and unless some pixie dust arrives at my house in the next 2 hours, I'll be out of luck.

But I sure hope not. I hope age really isn't a number, because that's no fun. I hope age is just how you feel, because I don't really feel that old, and I don't really want to. Not yet anyway.

It seems like a lot of things come with Eighteen and Adulthood. Like, packing up and moving out and college and missions and apartments and bills and jobs that will pay them and scary things like that. I know it all won't have to happen all at once, but it still makes me a little sad to know my nearly careless childhood days are over.

The great thing is though, life is one big Adventure. And just because the childhood chapters are over, I still have a long way to go and a lot more adventuring to do.

As sad as it is to grow up, I guess I'm pretty excited. Tomorrow will come and I'll start a new chapter in my life's story book and it'll all be okay.

Adult life, here I come.



(Unless one of you is stashing some pixie dust, that is.)


Marley Kay
Your Dreamer

1 comment: